Well, it was on, but it wasn't ON on. And I couldn't figure out why. It sounded (and smelled, according to Middle Daughter) like the gas was flowing, and I could see the pseudo-pilot glowing, but there was no fire. Which is sort of a major component of broiling.
I tried just lighting it with a lighter, but that didn't work.
I tried turning it off and on again, several times, but that didn't work.
I tried turning on the oven instead, but that didn't work, either.
I finally gave up and grilled the steaks on the stovetop, which was working just fine.
And about three hours after dinner, Husband wondered why the kitchen was so hot, and realized the oven was on, becuase he had tried turning it on again but forgot to turn it off when it didn't light. We chalked it up to one of those things.
The next day, Middle Daughter was going to cook dinner, but the oven wouldn't light. We went out to eat instead. And then we went to Lowe's to find out how to get our oven fixed.
We went to Lowe's becuase that's where the oven came from, and because I had no idea who to call to fix an oven, because every other major appliance I've ever owned was from Sears, and so I've always just called Sears to fix things, but I didn't think it would be appropriate to call Sears to fix an oven from Lowe's. Aside from not being effective, it just seemed rude. We found out all we had to do was call a number to schedule someone to come out.
It took a couple of weeks to schedule someone to come out, because it took us that long to figure out where to find the serial number on the oven, becuase we needed the serial number to prove the oven came from Lowe's, because we didn't have a receipt. We didn't have a receipt because the oven was a birthday present from my mom. This fact proved very confusing to the oven repairman scheduling guy, based on how many times Husband had to repeat it into the phone while trying to schedule a repairman to come out.
In the end, a repairman did come out, to the tune of $85 an hour, to see if he could fix the oven. And when Husband turned on the oven to show the repairman how it wouldn't light, it did. Repeatedly. Without hesitation. It didn't even have the decency to pretend it wasn't going to light for a minute or two.
According to the repairman, sometimes air will get into the line, causing the gas to be too diluted to light effectively. I suppose it makes sense, even though I've been cooking with gas for 40 years and never once experienced this. It makes me think about all the other things that I've never experienced, for which I am mostly grateful but in the case of some things, like the Northern Lights, a bit wistful.
In any case, the good news is that the oven works. The bad news is that we had to pay the $85 for the repairman's time even though he didn't have to do anything to fix it but (apparently) show up.
I'm trying to view this as we spent $85 and the oven is fixed, and not we spent $85 to find out the oven didn't need fixing.